The Business Innovation Kit enables entrepreneurial teams to explore, discuss and define the range of ideas and viable business models for a new or existing business. Advanced exercises enable you to specify viable revenue models, to walk through the customer journey, and pursue normative orientations like dedication to sustainability or values of privacy in a structured way. Results provide a basis for lean venturing that proceeds through iterative exploration, elaboration, evaluation, experimentation and evolution of assumptions.
- What you need: A business idea or an existing business, 4 to 12 participants, 4 hours for completion.
- What you get: A shared view of alternative business models for your business idea, or further development of an existing business.
- What it contains: Playground, instruction Cards, challenger Cards, example cards. Extensions include a modular playground, corporate sustainability cars, revenue modelling cards and touchpoint cards.
- Modular Playground: Create a path for collaboration by attaching selected playground cards (13 in total) onto office walls. Move with the workshop participants from one station to the next: Discuss and agree upon the fundamental values and purpose of your business idea, familiarize with the business model components through examples of other companies, conduct a brainwriting session to collect ideas for each components, select and combine the best ideas on refinement sheets and face some of the challenges that may threaten your ideas.
- Corporate Sustainability Cards: 15 cards inspiring new ways how business may profit from sustainability-orientation with respect to five maturity levels of sustainability innovation. First, select the target level. Then, reflect for each of 8 drivers of sustainable business cases on how to enhance sustainability in each component and their interaction within the business model. We are proud to develop the sustainability innovation toolkit in close collaboration with Florian Lüdeke-Freund, University of Hamburg.
- Revenue Modeling Cards: 33 cards to explore the most common revenue streams and pricing tactics. The key revenue and pricing patterns are presented and negotiated through drivers and examples. Revenue modeling cards ensure that the scope of potential revenue models pertaining to the business in question are covered.
- Customer Journey Cards: 9 cards to capture insights and model touch points with customers, stakeholders and the whole journey.
Workshop participants modelling new business with the Business Innovation Kit
A free basic version of the toolkit is available. You may access our article on Values-Based Network and Business Model Innovation demonstrating and explaining work with the Business Innovation Kit in the context of modelling sustainable business ecosystems. Also check out our highly respected friend’s tools to support the design of strongly sustainable business models on Flourishing Business, as well as a selection of tools discussed in this Network for Sustainability Report.
‘Diverse professional groups – from the student to the CEO – can substantially profit [from the toolkit]’ (Prof. Dr. Frank Piller, RWTH Aachen). Find some user feedback here.
To order and toolkit please send us an email with your shiping address, billing address and tax ID, and we will send you the English toolkit (at 89€ costs of production plus shipping). Basic card sets are also available in German, Spanish and Polish.
- Key Questions for Facilitators
- Page from the Handbook
- Refinementsheet (Values-Based for Printout)
- The Ideapool (poster for printout)
- Elevator Pitch (template for printout)
- Sustainability Innovation Maturity (Engl.)
- Facilitation Card
- Case Card
- Challenger Card
- Revenue Model Overview
- Exemplary Touchpoint Card
- Plantilla de refinacion (Spanish)
- Refinementsheetplok (Polish)
- eBook How to Model New Business
- Book on Values-Based Innovation Management
- Journal Paper on Lean Venturing
- Journal Paper on Values-Based Network and Business Model Innovation
- Some news on Facebook
The Business Innovation Kit has been applied at companies in telecommunication, automotive, and media, and at universities such as:
- Berlin University of Technology
- HMKW Berlin
- Leuphana University Lueneburg
- University of Hamburg
- University of Aachen
- Avans University, Netherlands
- OCAD University, Toronto
- Sungkyunkwan University, Seoul
- Waseda University Tokyo