The Business Modeling Starter Kit enables entrepreneurial teams to explore the range of ideas and viable business models for a new or existing business. Results provide the basis for business model innovation through an iterative process comprised of exploration, elaboration, evaluation, experimentation and evolution of assumptions. The kit was optimized and advanced through more than a hundred workshops with startups and corporate venture projects.
While we are sending out the last printed boxes of the original Starter Kit (image above), we provide a basic version available for free download from this page. Advanced users and moderators are asked to turn to the renewed and extended Business Innovation Kit.
- What you need: A business idea or an existing business, 4 to 12 participants, 4 hours for completion.
- What you get: A shared view of alternative business models, their strengths & weaknesses.
- What it contains: Playground, Instruction Cards, Challenger Cards, Example Cards.
Instructions for Download and Print
- Download the free basic package: It contains the print files for the playground, refinement sheets, 16 facilitation cards, 16 case cards and 16 challenger cards.
- Print the Playground on DIN A3 and tape the two parts together as indicated. Print the refinement sheet 3 times on A4. Print the other cards on double sided thick paper (ideally 250+ grams). If you print in a copy shop use Coated Fogra39 as target profile for the colours. Due to technical reasons some printers do not match the pages perfectly. For best print results set marks on “print pages centred” and “resize document to fit paper size” in the print dialogue. Cut the cards according to the trim lines.
- Gather the participants, give each one a pen and a stack of post-its. Arrange all materials on a table, and start modelling following the instructions on the Facilitation Cards.
- Further background information and instructions are available in the eBook ‘How to Model New Business’. Acknowledgements to those who contributed to this in the past and continue to do so today.
Customer Feedback and News
‘Diverse professional groups – from the student to the CEO – can substantially profit from [the toolkit]’
(Prof. Dr. Frank Piller, RWTH Aachen).
The kit has been applied at companies in telecommunication, automotive, and media, and universities worldwide:
- Berlin University of Technology
- HMKW Berlin
- Leuphana University Lueneburg
- University of Hamburg
- University of Aachen
- OCAD University, Toronto
- Sungkyunkwan University, Seoul
- Waseda University Tokyo
Related works & inspirations